Tuesday, March 14, 2006

dEstRucTioN





On March 12,2006 my family and friends came as close to a Tornado as I ever want to be again. Growing up in Japan and then Florida, I am used to hurricane's. When I moved to Arkansas, those days and worries were over, but tornados were their replacement. Tornados are so much more threatening because there is LITTLE to NO WARNING. One second it's a storm and the next there you are with sirens going off, hail, high winds, and a sense of fear like I've never known. I have been living in the NWA area for almost seven years now. I have been through the sirens, and the tornado seasons before, but this is the closest and worst it has ever been! The Tornado actually touched down on the next street over from me. From my porch and front room window I was able to watch some of the destruction as it happened. Those pictures will come later this week. These pictures are of my apartment area. We had a lovely gazebo on the 'lake'-it's no more. The house behind mine is missing a lot of their roof, the football field across the street had the stadium lights fall and damage the stadium. All this happened just across the street. I had my friend Sheryl & her two teenage boys here because of the storm and asked my upstairs neighbors to come down and stay in my home for the duration of the storm. It was nearly 10pm when all this started to happen. God was looking out for us. My home escaped with NO damage, I wish I could say the same for my car. Andrew had to work that night (they got evacuated) and something busted out one the windows in the car. His building had some damage as it was in the direct path of the storm as well..... God was looking out for us that night. **Sabryna took the pictures above on our digital camera.

2 comments:

Khrista said...

Thank God you guys are alright! Isn't it ironic how beautiful it can look right after a storm, I mean look at that blue sky! Tornadoes are one of my worst fears! We had a few scares in KY. One in particular got pretty close!
I thank God you are alright! And that was so sweet of you to welcome in your neigbors for safety!

Anonymous said...

Whewwww!!! Too scary, Thank God you're ALL safe!

We're very proud of you for inviting others to come to your home for safety. I'm sure they all appreciated your hospitality. :*)

Sheesh we have tornados in
Arkansas, hurricanes in
Florida, earthquakes in California....man you guys love keeping me on pins and needles. MOVE!! Hahaha!

I love & miss you all,
Mom/Grammy